It's that time of year. The cold Chicago winter is setting in and my kids need their woolies. I've been working on a set for Matthew made from Miss Babs 100% Superwash Merino in Verdigris. I made him a pair of basic mittens from Ann Budd's Handy Book of Patterns.
Then I made him the Lina hat. I love this pattern. I think it looks so difficult when it's not.
And now I'm chugging away on the scarf. I'm using the Berlin Scarf pattern, which is just brioche stitch. I'm really liking it. It's so squishy and there's only one row to the pattern - no purling, so you can really fly along.
Now, in the interests of honesty, I have to tell you I made another hat for Matthew first. He asked for a moose hat because I call him my little moose. It had to be green and orange to match his new coat. I was being cheap, I admit it. I tried to knit the hat out of some acrylic I picked up at Hobby Lobby.
It's been a long time since I was embarrassed by something I knit. I didn't swatch, so the hat is too big. And we won't even discuss what I was thinking to try to do stranded colorwork with acrylic. I still see the potential in my idea though. I used the Norwegian Star Earflap Hat (Ravelry link) pattern for the shape and then I modified the charts from the Baby Norgi sweater for the colorwork. I think with the proper gauge and, oh, I don't know...WOOL, this could have been awesome. Maybe after some time has passed I'll give it another go.
Next up, holiday knitting! Let the crazy begin!